Monday, April 4, 2016

Bronchitis Can't Stop Jesus

This last week.... has been long days and long nights of sickness. I was good up until Wednesday morning when I woke up with practically no energy. (Weird - because I love the mornings - I really do.) Going throughout the day I felt weak...groggy...lethargic...cold chills...hot chills...cardiac arrest...seizures...tongue swelling up...fear of bladder exploding...totally kidding on most of those. (Mom comment:  If you can name the movie from which Elder Smith-Driggs pulled the last two symptoms, email me (smiggsfamily@yahoo.com), and I'll give you a shout out in the next blog post.) But I had a temp of 102.5 degrees and then 103 the next day....yuck man, just not good. BUT I am getting better thanks to the mission nurse and the very loving doctors here in Chiang Rai. Let's talk about some cooler things, shall we? 




QUICK shout out to Thomas Marshall: 

I LOVE YOU THOMAS you are the man! This is Thomas Marshall, and he is my favorite human being on the planet! Love you Thomas.  He was at Aida to see his cousin, Caleb, and my sister, Eliza, last week! 

Tuesday night, Apr. 5 at 7 p.m. at Olympus High School in Holladay, Utah is your LAST AND ONLY CHANCE to see my amazing sister Eliza as Amneris.  I've heard you will have tears running down your face. Please go see her for me!

The Work: 
I didn't really get to see my investigators really that much this week. In fact, I barely made it to church yesterday, but God gave me strength woohoo! They say they are doing well though. I am sure Elder Rogers and God are taking great care of them. I have just really been loving studies recently. Being at home sick, I have done everything there is to do. Read all the magazines, studied scriptures, etc. It has been way fun, and I feel very rejuvenated! I love the opportunity I get each day to have an hour of personal scripture study. SERIOUSLY what a blessing. I would try it out if I were you!

The Culture: 
If someone gives you food in Thailand, it is polite to "wai" them. (Or put your hands together and place them under your chin.) You do that when saying hello, saying godbye, acknowledging respected persons... it is done in church too! There are many ways to "wai" someone, and there are rules for "waiing" respectfully.

Mom pulled from Thai etiquette website.

Mom comment: One last tiger picture from last week.  
Maybe the tigers gave him bronchitis?

Big mountain

The Funnies: 
I was wayyyy sick... not that funny - but one night I wasn't sleeping well, and I got up. It was like 4 am, and I eventually went downstairs to get some water...coming back up the stairs I lost my balance, got light headed and fainted...hitting my head on the mini basketball hoop and ended up on the ground of my room panting for Elder Rogers to come save me...4 am. Hahahahaha I can't wait to see that replay in heaven.

Chess master 

Accidental filter and matching shirts... BOOM

Spiritual thought: 
This week I really tried to focus on my prayers. We teach that prayer is a literal communication with Heavenly Father. And we preach that He answers, correct? This week I wasn't feeling the power in my prayers. I have been praying in Thai my whole mission. Personal, companionship, in public. Everything is in Thai. It has been a solid 10 months since a prayer in English out loud has been spoken from my lips. So I did it this week while I was sick. Amazing. There is something super special about praying in your own language. I used phrases in there translated from Thai...it was very slow but heartfelt. Prayers don't need to be fast and long. And I felt completely different about my prayer. I benefited from it too. I just felt great. So this week I would like to challenge all of you to think about the words you use for prayer. Think of an investigator sitting there...could they understand you? Try to simplify.... just a thought. 

I love you so much. Bronchitis doesn't even phase the work of the Lord...IT GOES ON WOOHOOO

-- 
Love the Lord and Laugh, 
เอ็ลเดอร์ สมีธ-ดริกส์

Elder Smith-Driggs  

No comments:

Post a Comment