Sunday, March 20, 2016

Captain Rogers

What's up Family and Friends! So pumped because this week I got a new companion - great guy. His name is Elder Rogers from Rocklin, California, such a STUD - way nice guy. Except this week, he was waaayyyy sick (literally), and so a lot of the week was spent in the house. Now I am sick too, and my voice is gone, and I sound like a pre-pubescent 14 year old boy. AWESOME WEEK. Also quick S/O to my boy Elder ALLEN.  It was his birthday yesterday, so congrats on that big step man - 19 baby let'ssssss goooooooo!

We weren't riding this scooter.  We were testing how many white people we could fit on it.  
The record amount of khonthais I've seen is five. We barely fit three! Hahahaha.

The Work: 
This week was great, a little lethargic due to the fact that Elder Rogers was in a new area and coughing up a lung every couple minutes (feel bad for the guy - he wants to work hard... stinks when you are sick). But all of our investigators are progressing and doing nicely. Brother Mxxang is all set to go for his baptism in a couple weeks. (We had to change the date again this weekend because he was in Laos doing visa stuff). This week our entire zone has a goal to get 30 numbers per companionship in the zone...so as easy as that sounds, it is hard when during the day everyone in Chiang Rai is at college...so keep us in your prayers please. I am just ecstatic about the work going on here in Chiang Rai. Right now I really feal like the Lord is progressing his work. There is no room for mediocrity - only excellence. And with God - he can make raw materials into something beautiful. If possible, I want to be a glass dolphin or something...that's just me though...I think that would be pretty cool hahahaha. 

The Culture: 
Most common food choices for family and branch get togethers: Fried chicken, sticky rice, papaya salad, and a vegetable dish... also their drink is either water or a cherry syrup drink they put into water to make it like a Kool-aid.

Ward activity at a waterfall...waterfall not shown.

Progression of excellence: tagraw (volleyball with your feet)
PC: Elder Brandon Daniel Rogers









The Funnies: 
This week I will tell the story of just one funny. Before looking at the picture below.. here is the background: There are not many things that make me frustrated. But one of them is that when someone has the tools to get something done and it doesn't work/doesn't happen... I flip out. This was the battle yesterday with locking the church. I had 5 keys. Now I have shut and opened the church many times ok people? This is not a rookie move for Elder Smith-Driggs...you would think I would be capable at opening the rented building doors..... but no. After 22 minutes... 22 MINUTES PEOPLE - DO YOU UNDERSTAND.... I was crying, laughing, breaking down...I was laughing so much I was crying. This is a funny thing because Elder Rogers is just dying in the background taking videos of me for a solid 15 minutes...and then at the last moment of frustration, I give the keys to Elder Rogers after 22 minutes...and HE OPENS IT ON THE FIRST TRY...I collapsed on the ground in joy and frustration and gratefulness of answered prayers. It was so hilarious I don't know if this picture can convey my happiness and relief... those are tears of joy by the way ;) 

Please read the story above to understand.

Spiritual thought: 
When foreigners ask us why were are here, we tell them that we are representatives of Jesus Christ, his missionaries spreading Christianity here in Thailand. Their next question is almost always - "This is a Buddhist country...does it work?" With joy, and with my best President Uchtdorf impression from last General Conference: "It works wonderfully... would you like to know more?" 
The Savior put it this way in Matthew 13:16, " But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear." 
I love this place. I love Thailand. And I am grateful for those who open their hearts to the message we have to share. As Christ teaches in parables...I pray that we may always have an open heart and an open mind to new concepts, ideas, religions. To do the opposite would be foolish and closed-minded. God promises us that as we open our hearts and our minds, we will be blessed beyond measure as his spirit and his love enters into our lives. 
I love you all, and I pray for you daily.

God bless you all!

-- 
Love the Lord and Laugh, 
เอ็ลเดอร์ สมีธ-ดริกส์

Elder Smith-Driggs  

No comments:

Post a Comment