Sunday, December 6, 2015

Sassy Elephants

I met some new friends last week :) Don't tell President Johnson, but I think I got hugged by a female...elephant. Oops :/ It was great :) 


I hope this wasn't against the rules....


We also had the opportunity to help out the Red Cross packing emergency supplies kits! Thanks Red Cross! Here are some photos! Enjoy! 

Service! - Red Cross is the best!

The Work:
What an awesome week here in Thonburi! I want to share the story of a dear friend of mine, Brother Luck. Elder Chamberlain and I met Brother Luck about 5 weeks ago fixing a car in front of his mechanic shop. We asked him if he wanted to know more about who Jesus Christ was, and he said yes! In our first lesson, he asked us what all of the "rules" were because he wanted to change to be Christian ASAP.... and so the story goes. Brother Luck is an amazing man. I love him dearly. He has told us many times of how he can feel himself changing. That is the power of the Atonement. Brother Luck is a great example of someone who can change through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. He is so eager to follow every commandment that he taped all of the commandments above his bed so he could look at them before he went to bed and have them be the first thing he sees when he wakes up. What a great man. His son, Brother Gan, is awesome and a sweetheart. While his father was getting baptized, Brother Gan's face was pressed up against the glass intently watching his dad be the example. I love my brothers. 

Brother Luck and Brother Gan!

The Work is pressing on here in Thonburi. Many great miracles are happening. With Recent Converts, and Less Active Members. The branch is preparing to become a ward, and each member is stepping up to the plate. There is a good vibe going on here, and I really hope it stays that way! What a great week! 

Brother Somsak needed a break from his wheelchair, so this happened....

The Culture:
1. Father's Day here is the King's Birthday (Dec 5) every year. Everyone gets all decked out with lights, matching shirts, and usually there is some big activity. This year, the entire country will be riding bikes around Bangkok. EVERYONE buys shirts, and EVERYONE bikes. This country is so close knit, and they all love their King. It is awesome.

Father's day in Thailand! Woohoooo we love dads!

2. Fun fact - most KhonThais grow out their fingernail on their pinkie until it is about an inch long...they use that sharp nail for all sorts of utility purposes. How cool is that?!


Merry Christmas from this old man.  He is like Santa Claus! We found him this morning on our way to the internet place. Just a typical old man in Thailand. Rocking the boxers - hahahahahahaha.  

Funnies:
1. A baby elephant didn't like me. So when I went to hug it, it slapped me in the face with its trunk. That trunk was HEAVY people. I am surprised I didn't bruise. The elephant's trainer just laughed and said the baby was very naughty.... we all had a good laugh hahahahaha.

Missionary work

2. Sleep talk story (according to Elder Stone): In the middle of the night I am talking as always. I stand straight up in my bed, take my blankets and myself and plop down in my study desk... I turn to face Elder Stone in his bed and just keep mumbling to myself. Elder Stone asks me, "Hey man... you awake?" I answer: "Of course I am awake! Are you awake?!".... start mumbling again. I sit there for 2 minutes straight mumbling to Elder Stone, at which point I get up and perfectly lay the covers on my bed, get on my knees and say a prayer out loud in Thai, and flop back on my bed... silent. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA The end.

Spiritual Thought: 
My family has always done something called: Written Down Prayers. I am sure I have told many of you this already, but I want to say it again because they ROCK. A written down prayer is exactly what it sounds like. It is communication that you have with Heavenly Father. In our church, we believe in personal revelation - we thrive on it, and it directs our every day actions.... Imagine that you wrote those revelations and conversations with your Heavenly Father down. You could go back and study them, receive guidance on a monthly, weekly, daily basis if you wanted to. Obviously God knows more than we do... so why not ask for His help? Show Him that you care by writing His council down in a little notebook. 
In my own experience, the Spirit talks to me differently than others. But God wants all of us to receive guidance; all we have to do is ask for it. I do a written down prayer about 3 times a week now, and I love it. I have received so many insights and answers to my prayers. I challenge you all to do the same - IT REALLY WORKS!

I love you all so much. Family - you are the best. When I think of you, I smile so hard my cheeks hurt. Can't wait to see you all soon. God bless! 
-- 
Love always,
Elder Smith-Driggs  

No comments:

Post a Comment