Saturday, March 25, 2017

Family Prayer - an essential element of spirituality

March 20, 2017

BOOMSHAKALACKA LET’S GET DOWN TO BUSINESS TO DEFEAT THE HUNS 🎵🎼

Yoga!

The Work:
Something that I was really grateful for this week was the opportunity to invite. I feel blessed to be in a country where I have the opportunity to do that. Just yesterday, Elder Rawlinson and I went to invite at a park where I sat down with a young man named Guy. He is 18 years old. As we got talking, I shared the restoration with him. I talked to him about the nature of God as our father who loves us and cares about us. I told him about baptism, and he said he wanted to be clean of his sins. So we set a date for his baptism right there. The simple truths of the gospel can be taught in any place to any person who is willing to open their heart just a little to the thought that - “Hey... maybe God is there.... and maybe he has a plan for me.” Elder Rawlinson and I have been really blessed this transfer with having the opportunity to teach new investigators and help others prepare for baptism. It has been such an adventure serving here in Udorn. I love the Zone here. All of the District Leaders are working really hard and trusting in God and miracles. Remember Sakornakorn and Khonkean that got those 25 numbers last week? We challenged the Udorn district leader, Elder Brown, to do it as well....which he did. 25 exactly. Those 25 numbers in each of the areas have turned into many new investigators and even some who have dates to be baptized in the following weeks. I am so grateful for the opportunity to open my mouth and preach of the gospel. This week went by faith.... as should all of our weeks. Do I know everything as a Thailand Bangkok Missionary? HECK no. I make a lot of mistakes... but I do understand that I need to put myself out there... no matter if I am comfortable or not. That is the beautiful thing about missions that change people. We get to see a little glimpse of the potential that God sees in us as his spiritually in-tune sons and daughters. 

Down to Bangkok... again for a switch off!

The Culture: 
  1. Here in Thailand lots of our investigators believe in reincarnation. So it is always fun to teach the resurrection. When we understand that we are on one trajectory... I think it helps us understand that this life is time to prepare to meet God... not just wait until the next one where we have another shot. So DON'T MISS IT! 
  2. Coconuts are a big part of the culture here. You will see many trucks on the side of the road selling coconuts out of the back, freshly picked. Many delicious treats and oils are made by this exotic plant! 
This is one of our new investigators, brother Kade.... he sells coconuts - go figure! 
(Hint: can you find the B.O.M in this picture?)

Teaching English in Thailand

The Funnies: 
1. This week I got a call from a +1801 phone number, and at the bottom it said, "Call from Utah." I stopped riding my bike and the worst popped into my mind. As a missionary you don't just "get calls" from Utah. I thought someone had died for sure. With a tremoring voice I answered in Thai, "Hello this is Elder speaking"............ and across the other line comes these words, "WHAT’S UP Dude this is Alex Tamaeng the RM speaking... how are you doing Smith-Driggs? Can you send me Elder Hart’s number when you get a sec?" I was like "ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME ELDER TAMAENG??? YOU GAVE ME A HEART ATTACK!!! NEVER CALL FROM YOUR UTAH PHONE NUMBER AGAIN!!! I THOUGHT SOMEONE DIED HAHAHAHAHA." Thank goodness you are all in good health. 

2. This morning we got up early and did some morning YOGA with President Tiger and President Jack from Sakornakorn hahahahah. We had a great time. Let's just say President Tiger kept complaining he had eaten to many ice creams from McDonalds because he just didn’t quite get there on the back bends hahahahahah. What a fun morning with dear friends! 

3. We were biking in the city two nights ago... and all of a sudden this group of 30 water buffalo blocked the road.... we couldn't get through so of course we took pictures.


The Spiritual Thought: 
This week I read these inspired words from President Hinckley. He said: "I submit that a return to the old pattern of prayer, family prayer in the homes of the people, is one of the basic medications that would check the dread disease that is eroding the character of our society. We could not expect a miracle in a day, but in a generation we would have a miracle." I love this quote. I remember the nights when all the kids were tired, and mom and dad are asleep after a movie we all watched... as we groggily walk up the stairs, Mom's voice calls from the kitchen, "Family prayer!" With Dad's glazed-over eyes (Dad always falls asleep in movies... just give him 3 minutes and he is out), we say a quick prayer of gratitude and head to bed. Before meals...eating as a family at a set time of night - these habitually done, family routines make or break a home. President Hinckley is helping us see that the simple times of quiet serenity with our families is what makes a house a home. Home is where the heart is - and home is where prayer is too. May we all be more aware of how we treat family prayer in the home. If you don't do it - give it a go. If you are doing it - keep it up... the Lord needs his families to be strong to face the whirlwinds of change from the adversary. It is my prayer that we can repent and do better, me included. I pray with my family every night. Their picture is on my desk. Family prayer can still exist across the world. I miss you guys, and I love you all. 

God bless you all and have a very merry March! 

Elder Smith-Driggs
-- 
Love the Lord and Laugh, 
ອັບຣາຮາມ ສະມິດ-ດິກສ


Abraham Smith-Driggs  

P.S. Added by my mom: HAPPY 21ST BIRTHDAY SHOUT OUT TO THIS ELDER ON MARCH 23RD!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment